Monday, August 24, 2020

Key Largo

Once I fell a sleep at a picture show

It was cold out, 

I had nowhere to go

It was late at night

There was no home

Just a nickel and an empty pocket

So I went to the picture show

The marque lights blinked like dying eyes

Yellow to orange, one after another

The hours of black and white 

The smell of old cigarettes 

This was my all night home

A girl without a glance sold tickets

The stale balcony was always closed

I sat in a crooked row

I heard the low sounds of muttering 

Bottles somewhere broke against the concrete floor

The whirl of 35 film reeled

Bogart smoked, Bacall should of broke

Key Largo on the go

The screen turned to a heavenly brightness

I saw scatterings of the theater crowd

Their faces appeared as they seemed

Some were awake, some asleep, 

These were different people

All alone

One man smoked... he crazy-smiled to himself

He was no Bogart, he had no Bacall

I grew more weary

I had nowhere to go

It was cold out

No nickel in my pocket

My eyes weighed as heavy as pennies

That's when I fell asleep 

I fell asleep,,,asleep in the picture show

Oh, no

Oh, no

Oh, no

One man watches another asleep in the picture show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGftnl0KtUY

1 comment:

Brother Ollie said...

He was no Bogart, he had no Bacall - this is a killer line.

Sweet tight ending too!