Thursday, September 21, 2023

Veins
Each day from work my muscles are torn,
my eyes are weary like heavy weights
my belly is fat, but my stomach is empty...
just like the empty kitchen shelves 
and the blank cold air in my fridge...nothing there but sticky food stains and dead celery...
only a last waxy sleeve of salt crackers... a hollow plastic jar of peanut butter...almost as empty as a beer can... I'm too tired to go to the store...to go get takeout...junkies prey on old working men who walk slow and alone... the crackers will keep me going...the last swabs of Jiffy sticking to the roof of my mouth...even my lips are tired...68 and stocking shelves...the only reason they hire me is cuz labour is in short supply..."I don't want to end up like that old loser"...is what I overhear.. the part time high school kid says so...

Then don't drink so much...and don't treat your wife like she don't matter and she takes the kids 30 years ago and walk's out on you and your crappy apartment and minimum wage job....68 and stocking shelves...sitting on a tired couch, eating crackers and peanut butter looking at Peloton commercials on a 16 inch flat screen...barely able to lift the remote...barely able to fill the bathtub with warm spinning water...

I drop my old, fat body in a half-soapy mess of drowning thoughts...what happens if my arthritis gets worse...what then?...disability pension...not enough money for rent...no more money for booze...homeless

I guess I'm better off than the junkies...they prey on old men...I wonder what goes through their veins...if its painless...the needle tearing the skin and muscles...I wonder if they know its night when the opioids damage their brains...what is high?...what is low?...supposed to rain tomorrow...damp weather makes arthritis worse...the doctors say they don't know why...I wonder if junkies get arthritis...if their arms hurt in the rain...





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An instant classic. You never fail to cook up something special, painful and touching all in one. Feel like this could be an excerpt from “Alley Men.” Maybe just hanging in there to ring the hope out of every new day is a religion in itself. Me? I’m still searching.
Sincerely, HP

Brother Ollie said...

Cinematic dark and good.

Gets me whirling in thoughts.

I dig it sir!

Ollie