Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What Does A Writer Wear?

I wonder if there is a uniform for a writer. Is he or she more disheveled in style than other creative people? It seems to me visual artists are rather meticulous in how they present themselves, with unusual colours and interesting cuts of clothing. But the writer? I see him or her wearing stodgy tweed jackets, old wool driving caps, and scuffed shoes with untied laces that don't match. Other artists paint images, writers weave stories. Writers live inside their characters, other artists are their characters. Writers think and drink too much. Other artists indulge too much in themselves.

Maybe I'm glorifying the writer while being unfair in suggesting other artists are too elitist. That's for another day. For now, I'm with the thrift store novelist.

No comments: