Sunday, July 15, 2018

The Beat
By the heat of night I walk with a computer in hand.
Its web pages stripped of hate.
Oh mercy,
I have a picture of a man
Taken with a camera I shot years ago,
It shines in a black and white with film made no more
Oh pity us all,
He was old; sat sideways in a chair;
his beard was white, his hair long and disheveled
a pet snake circled round his neck;
it was thick and tropical with a
tongue that slithered, like web pages of hate
Oh help me and you,
I scanned his image; uploaded it to my hand
This night I am infected by a snake's slithering tongue
Thru the night I warn of his devil tail:
Oh help us all, 
Is this the poison in our veins?
Most turn away,
What is the secret message in their heart?
Do they have the rhythm of love, or a rattler's fate?



1 comment:

Brother Ollie said...

Tight and lyrical SC!