Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Grounder
I pedal a bike as old as a memory,
To a time when I was as the wind
When I coasted down a summer lane
I pedal along a sandy diamond,
Where young boys play ball
I hear the crack of a bat
I wave eternal dust from my eyes,
I taste chalky clouds on my lips
We boys run hard along base lines
Throw a ball from outside
Field grounders
Argue over fouls, balls and strikes, safe or out
A hero climbs a pitcher's mound
Wheels go by
When twilight comes, the ball is hidden by the sky
The muscles are worn
We boys pedal our bikes,
The gloves hang over handle bars
The strongest rests the bat atop his shoulder
In the weary race against darkness we ride home
Tomorrow is another game against time
And I wonder sometimes what is the fate of those lives
Like shifting gears of a boy's bike
Years go by

1 comment:

Brother Ollie said...

This is my childhood - future kids will think back to when they spent their youth watching other people play video games...

These images are perfect SC.