Monday, September 21, 2020

Waiting on a Know Good Friend
Standing on a street corner
I got a leather glove over each hand
My green overcoat hangs,
The collar is turned up
With a black wool scarf tied around my neck
A fur hat lives snugly on my head
I am warm, but the snow is blowing--the wind stings my uncovered skin
My friend was supposed to be here soon, he said
But it is well past noon
Always a bad time to meet, when it is winter and the snow is blowing
I put a leather gloved hand over my face,
then pull the scarf over my frostbit lips
This friend has so much control,
I always bail him out when he can't pay his bills
Buy him booze, just the expensive whiskies
He never pays me back
Drinks too much,
Plays drum in bad local rock n' roll band
His own brother says he manipulates people, and thinks I'm a fool
Ten extra dollars in my pocket, waiting for a friend
I pull my fur hat down over my eyebrows; streaks of snow blind my eyes
No one is on the street, just me in a green overcoat
Where is he, probably snug in bed
Why I do these things, I don't know
I could be home, listening to Lou Reed
Maybe his song Heroin
The Velvet Underground
Play good music on my turntable
Instead of going round in circles playing the fool to a no good friend
I oughta' go home,
turn up the heat
When he calls, hang up the phone
I guess I'm addicted to helping everyone,
Women who know when to cry,
Smooth talkin' strangers, who lie about the seven seas
Good people
Evil people
Half dressed ladies sighing about lonely love
That's what I'll do
In five minutes, that's what I'll do...
Stop waiting for a friend 
Stop waiting for a friend 
I don't do booze 
I don't do drugs
Like Lou Reed says:
"I guess, I just don't know"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xcwt9mSbYE

1 comment:

Brother Ollie said...

deeply Canadian...

and human as well

gotta do a lot of forgiving while waiting in the cold