Sunday, July 19, 2020

Donkey's Bray
I walked a one flicker ghost town,
Like a single spark in a desert night sky
From end to end I saw no one
I knew no one's name
Abandon lights burned behind dusty windows
The last of smoke floated from iron chimneys
Where had they gone?
The six shooter cowboys,
Long skirted wives in billowing dresses
Young boys dressed like their gun slinging fathers
Young girls dressed like their mother's to be
Where have they gone?
Only the grey donkeys bray,
I heard the squeaking sounds of swaying signs in the hot wind
The doors to the undertaker's workshop were open
Fresh pine caskets lined its walls,
I stole some water from a pump
Drank it from my palm
I soaked my bandanna and washed my face
The forgotten Cat House looked like a good place to sleep
I could grab a free beer at the empty saloon
But in the distance I heard the sounds of gunfire
I saw the flames of a desert fire
There was no turning back
I heard a song where it sang Time will Tell
I walked from the town,
I heard more gunfire
The desert flames grew larger
Maybe in time the next town will tell
Or perhaps I will only hear a donkey's empty bray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wepBAVq_3jQ


No comments: