Sunday, September 25, 2011

Absurd
I got a lip busted open. It's 3am and I just left the One Lucky. My wobbly knees gave way and I tripped over my two loose feet. Lucky I gotta handkerchief to hold up to my laughing, bloody face. I don't know what's so funny, this thing about tripping when I haven't even been drinking, except for a cold beer. Must be the tiredness that got to me, or the cold air, or my thoughts someplace else. Must be something that made me trip and start laughing on this Square Corner night. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts. Hope I don't need stitches, but even if I do, I'll let the doctor and nurse in on the joke. Then we can all ponder wobbly knees and the absurdity of it all.

Hurting
I lifted my eyes to look at the moon, but my neck hurt so bad I only saw the rising smoke of rooftop chimneys. I could see higher and higher, except these stiff muscles can only take me so far. Last night I fell in front of the One Lucky and busted open my lip. My neck felt fine, but it hurts now. I know I should be more cautious with my steps; it just seems so funny the craziness of it all. Besides, chimneys with rising smoke are nice to look at, if only for a hurting moment or two.

2 comments:

Brother Ollie said...

there is a lot of wisdom in busted lips...

Poets United said...

Your poems are so gritty and real.

Post/share them on Sundays - Thanks!