Friday, April 2, 2010

Georgie

"Hey, Georgie,"

"Hey, Tortelli. I got troubles. Big troubles."

"What d'ya mean?"

"I got no real place to stay. I'm staying at the Salvation Army."

"What about the new apartment?"

"I didn't get it?"

"What about the old place? Can they take you back?"

"Nah, they kicked me out. Geez, you're asking me too many questions."

"Sorry, Georgie. But if you need anything, just ask."

Georgie had no teeth. Not for years. Didn't take care of 'em. He had a bigger problem then that. Schizophrenia since he was age nineteen. Got it when he was studying at a Calvinist College in Michigan. Not there is any real connection with these things. Lived as a good tenant for years, then the voices got the better of him. He also had a troubled girlfriend who made things worse all round. So in the end they booted him out on his a$$. Probably was hard to live with, from their stand point. So what does he do now? Sixty three years old. Nearly a pensioner. Nearly on the street. What a tragic story. What a true story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a story I've seen a few times; indeed tragic.

Sir Olsonomics